Trivia on Washington to honor President's Day - The Apartments at CityCenter
In honor of President’s Day, here is some lesser known trivia about the inspiration for our very District of Columbia:
- George Washington was the only president to be elected unanimously.
- He was the only president that did not live in the White House.
- He delivered the shortest inaugural address of all time. He had only one tooth at the time and his dentures often gave him pain. It was only 133 words long and took a mere 90 seconds to deliver.
- George Washington never chopped down a cherry tree. The legend was made up by Mason Weems shortly after Washington’s death.
- He had many sets of false teeth, but none were made of wood; they were actually made from human or animal teeth and ivory or lead.
- It is also said that he threw a silver dollar across the Potomac River. However, the Potomac is over a mile long and there were no silver dollars when he was a boy.
- George Washington never attended college. In fact, he stopped attending school at age 15.
- One of his hobbies was to breed hound dogs. He often gave them rather unusual names like: Tarter, Venus and Sweet Lips.
- He inherited 11 slaves from his father, as was commonplace at the time. Though he owned more than 300 at his death, they were emancipated in his will and some were paid pensions for decades.
- After retiring from the presidency, he built one of the largest whiskey distilleries in the U.S.